Well, the New Classics Challenge is coming to an end, and I'm sprinting all the way (I'll post more about this later today, with a book review and hopefully tomorrow, sprinting across the finish line)
The Guardian 1000 Novels Challenge (which I'm hosting! Sign up!) starts on Sunday.
And I'm playing along with My Friend Amy's Buy Books Challenge.
Challenges are silly and fun. I like to think that reading is a competitive sport, and now that school is done, why not join some more?
So I think I will.
I now declare my intent to join the TBR Challenge, in which I have to read 12 books. I think this will help me in my goal to read 50 books off the List Of Doom. Here are 12 (with 12 alternates) I hope to read off that list. Hopefully, I'll read all 24, plus a few more!
1. The Adoration of Jenna Fox Mary E. Pearson
2. Anatomy of a Boyfriend Daria Snadowsky
3. Asleep Banana Yoshimoto
4. The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume II: The Kingdom on the Waves (The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation) M.T. Anderson
5. Aurelie: A Faerie Tale Heather Tomlinson
6. The Ballet Family Jean (Mabel Esther Allen) Estoril
7. Ballet Family Again Jean Estoril
8. Ballet Shoes Noel Streatfeild
9. The Book of Lost Things: A Novel John Connolly
10. Brideshead Revisited Evelyn Waugh
11. Cathy's Key: If Found 650-266-8202 Sean Stewart
12. A Certain Chemistry: A Novel Mil Millington
1. Cold Comfort Farm: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) (Penguin Classics Deluxe Editio)Stella Gibbons
2. Cybele's Secret Juliet Marillier
3. Everyday Life Lydie Salvayre
4. Explosions and Other Stories Mo Yan
5. Fire in the Blood Irene Nemirovsky
6. The Frog Princess (Tales of the Frog Princess) E.D. Baker
7. General Winston's DaughterSharon Shinn
8. The Girl from the Golden Horn Kurban Said
9. Hardboiled and Hard Luck Banana Yoshimoto
10. High Fidelity Nick Hornby
11. Life and Death are Wearing Me Out: A Novel Mo Yan
Life and Death in Shanghai Nien Cheng
12. Midnight Pearls Debbie Viguié
I also want to join The Chunkster Challenge. I'm doing the Mor-book-ly Obese level, which makes me read 6 or more adult books with more than 450 pages.
I don't mind the stipulation for adult literature. I'm not supposed to complain, but I am. I don't like the reasoning behind the adult stipulation. "Don't complain folks, I read all thousands of pages of the Twilight series and they were good, but not a challenge. A chunkster should be a challenge. "
Sure, Twilight isn't a challenge, but that doesn't mean non-adult chunkster literature isn't (Book Thief) or that all adult chunkster literature is (Redeeming Love). Grrrrrrrrrr.
But those are my reading challenges this year (so far). We'll see how I do.